Tuesday 8 November 2011

25 years the Gaffer




25 years ago on 6th November 1986 Alex Ferguson (later to become Sir Alex Ferguson ) took over as the boss of Manchester United Football Club and on his retirement could possibly be in my opinion the first ex-football manager to become a lord.
Aberdeen’s loss was United Gain
The announcement on Sunday that the north stand be named after the greatest football manager is another example of how much he is worshipped at Old Trafford.
What an exceptional and inspirational mentor he has been to me in my struggle to prepare for this marathon I am planning next year and also as I struggle with my colleagues to bring PRT and Maglev trains to the world market.
When I remember the fantastic players who have and come to this great club and the difficult decisions he has had to make, not always getting them right but in the long run 30 trophies and championships have been collected (please long may they remain so) and the glory continues. When one looks at the continued success and records broken many people have thought because of his age he will retire but as the great man says he has a great job he loves and so whilst he has his health and the trophy’s continue to be collected why stop.
Two of my favourite SAF quotes:
"Nothing [Eric] Cantona did in matches meant more than the way he opened my eyes to the indispensability of practice."
"David Beckham is Britain’s finest striker of a football not because of God-given talent but because he practises with a relentless application that the vast majority of less-gifted players wouldn’t contemplate."

No comments:

Post a Comment