Sunday 25 September 2011

New world record






Haile Gebrselassie loses his world record after dropping out of the Berlin Marathon and Kenya's Patrick Makau smashed the world record as he successfully defended his Berlin marathon title.
Makau clocked a brilliant time of two hours three minutes 38 seconds, 21 seconds faster than the time set by Gebrselassie over the same course back in 2008.

Britain's Scott Overall on his marathon debut was a credible 5th and inside the Olympic qualifying time. Overall he clocked 2hrs 10mins 55secs, well inside the Olympic qualifying time of 2:12.00.
He said: 'I couldn't believe it. When I got to 40k thought I had got the time wrong, so I was cruising on the home straight, and when I saw the clock said 2:10 I was very surprised.

Paula Radcliffe had mixed feelings despite achieving the Olympic qualification time after coming third in the Berlin Marathon.
The 37-year-old crossed the line in two hours 23 minutes 46 seconds, behind Kenya's Florence Kiplagat and Irina Mikitenko of Germany.
It was the former world record holder's first marathon since coming fourth in New York in November 2009. She was disappointed not to win but was glad to finish the race after her recent troubles. I need to get away and get fit and healthy.
'After the training this summer it has been very up and down. If I look at it this way I should be happy but I'm not - I wanted to win.'

No comments:

Post a Comment