Wednesday 16 February 2011

Time for a rest after a marathon year



Stefaan Engels, nicknamed the Marathon Man, started the epic record attempt one year ago in Barcelona. Since then he has run a marathon every day, running in seven different countries including Canada, Mexico and his native Belgium.
In 2008 Engels set a world record after he completed 20 long-distance triathlons in one year. He told Associated Press (AP) that on completing the triathlons record his mind turned to a year of marathons.

Engels said: "After running 20 triathlons in one year, I was not ready to go back to normal life.

"I also wanted to inspire people by showing that if I could run a marathon a day for an entire year, that anyone could run or bike a little each day or do something about their weight problem."

As a youngster Engels was diagnosed with asthma and was told by doctors that he should not participate in sport. He later decided to overcome his illness and completed his first marathon aged 25.

Incredibly Engels played down his record attempt during the last year, when he wrote on his website, "I don't regard my marathon year as torture. It is more like a regular job. I am running just as Joe Average goes to work on Monday morning, whether or not he feels like it. I don't always feel like running, but when I am done, I take a shower, have some physiotherapy for an hour and that wraps up my day".

The previous world record for consecutive marathons was held by Akinori Kusuda from Japan, who ran 52 consecutive marathons at age 65 in 2009.
Nicknamed "Marathon Man", the runner completed his challenge in Barcelona, Spain, after running a total of 15,000km (9,569 miles) in just one year.

According to the BBC, the 49-year-old said: "I don't regard my marathon year as torture. It is more like a regular job."

His fastest time was 2 hours and 56 minutes, while his average 26 mile run clocked in around four hours. Engels had been told be avoid sport as a child because he suffered from asthma.

But what is next for Engels? "It is time to give my body a rest," he told AP.

May I add my own personal congratulations a job well done. I know how hard it is training for my own 77 marathons and that is running 6 days a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment