Sunday 5 December 2010

Sporting Hero and Legends part 2



Whilst I have enjoyed and participated in many sports and probably most suited to long distance running, never fast but what is known as a plodder more suited to the marathon than the 100m and two runners have always inspired me the legendary Ron Hill (I once ran the first half of a mile of a marathon close behind my idol, however as he was looking for around 2.30 and my ambition was to break 3 hours common sense took over and I slowed to me own pace and managed 2:58:56 my all tome personal best, the other was Terry Fox the one legged Canadian who attempted to run across Canada in 1980, he embarked on the Marathon of Hope where he attempted to run across Canada in an effort to raise money for cancer research. Fox hoped to raise C$1 for each of Canada's 24 million people on his run, a goal he met despite being forced to end his run after 143 days and 5,300 kilometres when his cancer spread to his lungs.


It is after a suggestion last year from my kind brother that as I would be 50 I should try a new challenge and suggested an ultra-marathon and at first dismissing the idea I decided to look in to it, however was surprised and disappointed to find out how expensive and the waiting lists are 2 to 3 years ahead! So being concerned with helping to save the Amazon Rainforest decided to create my own and will next year attempt to run across the Amazon region 77 Marathons in less than 13 weeks running 6 full marathons a week approximately 2,000 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment